What is Hospice?
Improving a patient’s quality of life is the focus of hospice care. In many ways, it is an affirmation of life, providing relief from fear, worry, and stress. But this can be a difficult time for both patients and their families. Before making any choices, of course, you must first decide: “Is It Time for Hospice?”
At Shining Light Hospice Care, we can help you make that and the other choices that are in the patient’s best interest. We provide services in the Las Vegas area in a patient’s home, the home of a family member or friend, or even in a long-term care facility.
Here are a few important facts for patients and loved ones to know about hospice care:
- Hospice care is focused on quality of life and freedom from pain and discomfort.
- Hospice services may include care provided by many different caregivers, including chaplains, social workers, nurses and nurses’ aides, and hospice volunteers.
- Qualifying patients are often covered by private insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid, offsetting any potential financial burden. (Visit our Eligibility for Hospice Care page for more information.)
- Hospice care is often delivered in the comfort of a patient’s home, but can also occur in the home of a loved one or even in an assisted living facility or hospital.
- In addition to providing care for the patient, hospice care can offer vital support and education for family members and other loved ones.
Get in touch for more information about hospice care services.
The Importance of Hospice Care
According to the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization,
Considered the model for quality compassionate care for people facing a life-limiting illness, hospice provides expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support expressly tailored to the patient’s needs and wishes. Support is provided to the patient’s family as well.
The goal of hospice care is to enable each patient to experience less pain and discomfort during this difficult time, so they may enjoy their remaining time with dignity and comfort, free of pain.
Hospice care is primarily designed for patients who are nearing the end of their life, usually with six months or less expected. Hospice care can include help and support for family members and friends as well.
Services may include:
- 24/7 intensive home care for patients
- Support teams trained to offer emotional and spiritual guidance
- A full suite of day-to-day care and activities
- Hospice respite care to allow caregivers to take a step back while delivering critical care for patients
For more information about the levels of hospice care, see our article, Exploring the Types of Hospice Care.
At Shining Light Hospice Care, we provide all the above hospice care services in Las Vegas. Please contact us via phone at 702-906-0444 or complete the contact form so that one of our compassionate caregivers can answer your questions.